Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Perfectly Imperfect Home

"What is the goal? A house that is like the life that goes with it, a house that gives us beauty as we understand it- and beauty of a nobler kind that we may grow to understand."
- Elsie de Wolfe





I was excited to attend a book signing last night at Room and Board for Deborah Needleman's new book, The Perfectly Imperfect Home. Deborah, the former founder of the beloved Domino magazine and current editor-in-chief of the Wall Street Journal Magazine, was incredibly delightful. The wait to meet her and have her sign my book was long, but it was worth it when I realized what was taking so long. Deborah was taking the time to engage with each person, asking them questions about themselves and having fun. I was impressed. I've been to other book signings where I felt it was all about moving the line along. After conversing with the down-to-earth author, I couldn't wait to dig into her book.


First, the physical book is a work of art. The pages are filled with water color paintings of familiar rooms you've probably seen published in magazines. The talented illustrator, Virginia Johnson, has captured these rooms and vignettes in such a charming way that I want to rip the pages out and frame them all around my house!

(bedroom designed by Jacques Grange)



(Rita Konig's Living Room)


(an inspired vignette)

Deborah has also scattered throughout the book fabulous quotes by renowned designers such as Elsie de Wolfe, Albert Hadley, Dorothy Draper, Billy Baldwin, etc. All of these carefully collected quotes are reminders of what I consider the true, real rules of design - your home shouldn't look or feel like a museum. I love how Albert Hadley puts it, " Make your home as comfortable and attractive as possible and then get on with living."

I haven't finished reading the book, but I highly recommend purchasing it. Deborah has created not just a practical guide to a furnishing an perfectly, imperfect home, but an entertaining read on not taking our ourselves and our homes too seriously!

No comments:

Post a Comment